The History & Evolution of Shoes
An extraordinary journey of a thousand miles always begins with a quality pair of shoes! Shoes are the ultimate companions to humans in all highs and lows of life. A lady wearing a good quality of women’s shoes can actually conquer the world! According to a study, an average woman in America owns around 17 pairs of shoes. Moreover, 1 in 12 owns 100 or more pairs of shoes.
Women’s shoes have come a long way. They have evolved in several ways, and today we have a wide range of designs. Although we all know, women's loafers are the most popular and forever chic. Do we ever wonder what the history of women’s shoes is? Plus, how they have evolved over time?
Honestly, we all should know about it. After all, shoes are our close companions in life. Knowing about their history will enable us to value them more. Moreover, there are many brands, such as Jenn Ardor, which provides some great women's shoes. Do check out their collection!
Now, we will tap into the history and evolution of women’s shoes.
Women’s Shoes – A Brief Overview of the Evolution
Around 40,000 years ago, shoes were just leather strips wrapped around the feet. For a long period, both men and women had the same shoes. Fast forward to the 15th century when shoemakers started to try different fabrics and styles for women’s shoes. Next, in the 19th century, shoemakers began to experiment with different levels and shapes of heels and toe shapes for different genders.
In the 1850s, right and left shoes were designed for both genders. Many new types of machinery and tools were introduced to make shoemaking easier. In the 20th century, several designs of shoes were introduced. Fast forward to the 21st century, now we have modern technology for manufacturing women’s shoes.
Now, you know about the overview of how women’s shoes have evolved. The 20th century is the most pivotal for the evolution of women's shoes. Especially for women's shoes in America. That is why; we will get into the details and decades!
20th Century – Women’s Shoes in America
Let us get straight into the century. We will go systematically through each decade.
- Early 20thCentury: This decade gave the real head start for the proper evolution of women's shoes. Different shoe designs started to appear. Embroidered and laced-up female boots were high in fashion in the early 20th
- The 1920s: This decade added the real essence of fashion and glamor to women's shoes. Manufacturers started to produce formal and embellished shoes. The T-strap shoe was quite popular in the 1920s.
- The 1930s: In this decade, improvement and quality of shoes were in focus along with fashion. Leather tanning was used to make shoes in more colors. The Oxford women's shoes with the Spanish heels are the highlight of the decade.
- The 1940s: This decade saw more types of shoes. Slingback shoes entered the market. They brought a more seductive touch to women's styling. Moreover, slip-on pumps became widely popular for being more casual and easygoing.
- The 1950s: There come the ever famous stilettos! High in fashion and popular in the purchase. In fact, designers actually competed for that who can make the skinniest stilettos heel.
- The 1960s: The Mary Jane shoes took off for being functional and comfortable. They were best for dancing as well.
- The 1970s: High heels and disco shoes came back in fashion. Chunky heels were introduced.
- The 1980s: Combat boats were introduced. Chunky heels were still in fashion. However, the great Doc Martens were introduced during the 80s.
- The 1990s: This decade was devoted to comfortable shoes. Women's loafers were high in demand due to comfort.
- 21st Century: The Turn of the millennium! Now, comfort remains a priority. Thanks to modern technology, now one can get comfort with style. Vegan shoes are in high demand! Women's loafers remain popular today.
There you go! Now, you know about women’s shoes.